March 8, 1883 (The Commonwealth, a newspaper of Scotland Neck, NC, 3d page)
On last Sunday as Mr. J.A. Perry and family were returning home from church, it was discovered that there was an unusual amount of smoke passing out of the chimney from his house. Soot in the chimney had caught, and soon the fire was blown over the house and caught the shingles in several places. By means of a ladder the top of the house was soon reached and the fire extinguished. A few minutes’ delay would have caused the loss of his house. Too much care with fire cannot be exercised during the windy days.