J.A. Perry’s Close Call with Roof Fire, NC, March 4, 1883

year 1883

March 8, 1883 (The Commonwealth, a newspaper of Scotland Neck, NC, 3d page)

On last Sunday as Mr. J.A. Perry and family were returning home from church, it was discovered that there was an unusual amount of smoke passing out of the chimney from his house. Soot in the chimney had caught, and soon the fire was blown over the house and caught the shingles in several places. By means of a ladder the top of the house was soon reached and the fire extinguished. A few minutes’ delay would have caused the loss of his house. Too much care with fire cannot be exercised during the windy days.

Advertisements

About Kindra

Executive Director for Quaker House, bringing a little bit of peace through counseling and support to military members and their families.
This entry was posted in Family History and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Drop a footnote (or comment!).

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s