October 23, 1873 (Anamosa Eureka, 1st page, bottom right corner)
HEART RENDING ACCIDENT.–The Iowa Falls Sentinel of Wednesday gives additional particulars of a heart-rending accident: It says:
Last Thursday evening one of those distressing accidents that can be traced to kerosene oil, occurred a few miles south of Iowa Falls, in Ellis township.–An anti-monopoly meeting was to have been held in the Brick School House by Messrs. Buttolph and Weaver, of Iowa Falls. Mr. Joseph Wagner, who lived about eighty [rods?] from the place of meeting, left his wife and two children seated at the supper table and started for the meeting. Just as he was entering the door of the school house he saw a flash of light in his house and heard a loud report. The flames shot rapidly up and he hastened with all speed back across the path he had come. Those who were at the meeting saw the fire and hastened at once in the same direction. When the husband and father arrived at his house, he found his wife some three rods from the burning building, all her clothing burned off except her shoes, lying in the grass–dead. With her was the baby, about one year old, also dead. A little further off lay the little boy, about seven years old, also dead. The loss of his home and his entire family is a sad blow to Mr. W. It is supposed that after Mr. W left, his wife attempted to fill the lamp with kerosene from the can, and it exploded while she was filling it; and that she lived only long enough to escape with her children, from the burning house, and then all perished miserably together.
[This story has been attached to each of the family members in this story on familysearch.org. The father and husband, Joseph Wagner, ID# LZF6-S58, has the story attached here.]