[I was unable to easily determine more information on John Brinkham other than what is in the article quoted below: In 1873, he lived in Pleasant Grove, I assume in Iowa.]
Last Sunday a two year old child of John Brinkham, residing in Pleasant Grove, went to its mother, who was in the room, and raised up its head and motioned that something was the matter with its throat. In five minutes after the child was dead. An inch screw was found in its throat, which the child had picked up off the floor, placed in its mouth, and partially swallowed, choking it to death before anything could be done for its relief. So says the Charles City Advocate.
December 4, 1873
Anamosa Eureka, 2nd page, at bottom